Yet another article this morning that too much sitting is bad for your health.
I know, we see these articles posted ad nauseam. But how do you change the brutal fact that we actually work all day or are in school sitting on our bums? Most of us are not bustling around a shop or doing outdoor labor. So, believe me, I understand!!! It is truly hard to get moving during the day!
Here is what I do during the week to keep moving. While not optimal, it certainly helps.
- park a couple floors up or down and take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- at the grocery store or mall, you have heard this before, don’t circle for the spot in front, walk for it!
- get up from your desk at least 1 time every hour. Go fill your water glass and stretch
- take the long way back to your desk
- set aside lunch or some other break time for walking. It is amazing how a little air in your lungs helps to clear your mind!
- exercise! do some wall push ups or squats in the handicap stall. believe me no one will see you and won’t ask what you were doing “in there”!
While I don’t have one at work, when I work from home, I usually am at my craft table in the studio. Picture 6 foot white banquet tables. On each leg is a 12 inch length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. This brings the tables up to my height. Perfect for standing!
I found a couple great pictures of standing desks. I had heard about the treadmill desk. I think I would feel like a hamster! (pic from Bengreenfieldfitness.com). Although I am a bit envious of all those screens for my computer.
How about this get up! one word. Creepy (pic from popularasians.com)
My favorite is the Jeffersonian Desk. Churchill also used a standing desk
So go try it already!